News and Upcoming Reviews

News: Sorry for my extended absence, I've been working on school stuff for most of my spare time. I got my review of "Padawan Lost" up and will hopefully post my review of "Wookie Hunt" tomorrow.

Upcoming Reviews: Xenocide, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Minority Report, Halo Reach

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Inception Movie Review

New York: The New Venice!
How can I jump-start my blog in the coolest way ever?  By reviewing one of the best movies of all time, of course!
     Inception was directed by Christopher Nolan, the genius behind Batman Begins and the awesometacular Dark Knight.  However, Inception is quite different from those two movies, so just because you like seeing the Joker run rampant through the streets of Gotham doesn't necessarily mean that you'll like this one.  While Inception does have tense moments throughout, it has a slower pace than the Dark Knight in that it makes the audience think.  That's right, think.  If the idea of thinking through your movies doesn't appeal to you in any way shape or form, then this probably isn't the movie for you.  This is why Inception will probably be better received amongst the geeks and nerds of the world instead of the action junkies.
     So, what is Inception all about?  The main concept of the film is that technology exists that allows people to experience what is called "shared dreaming."  The main characters of the film use this technology as a method of mind reading, or "extraction," by entering the dream of their target and searching their subconcious for the information they want.  "Inception" is the exact opposite.  Instead of extracting information from somebody's mind, the main characters must plant one.
     As you can probably tell from that description, this movie can be described as a psychological thriller, with lots of mind bending plot twists.  If you like movies such as Shutter Island then this movie will be right up your alley.  I really liked how the concepts of the film were layed out; as long as you were paying attention it felt cool and engaging.  I also liked the atmosphere of the dreams, with the slow motion sequences that gave it an almost claustrophobic feel, like you were really dreaming, completely shut out from the outside world.
     While the braininess of the film is great, its the character development that makes the experience.  This is one of the few movies where all of the actors do a fantastic job at making you actually care about what happens to them.  I remember halfway through the movie thinking geez, I sure hope nobody dies.  I also liked how the movie never loses sight of what emotions the main character is going through, and how his story is tied in throughout the entire movie.
Conclusion:  Inception is one of those rare movies that not only gives you a new perspective on the real world, but is also rich with character development and a fantastic story.  In a world full of movies that have no other purpose than to whack the audience over the head with bullets, explosions, and cheesey dialog, Inception is a breath of fresh air.  Without a doubt the best movie I've ever seen.
Rating:  10/10  "Spectacular"
Favorite Moment:  Like, the entire movie.  Seriously, it's hard to pick just one scene, but if I had to I'd choose the ending sequence, which I won't go into detail in order to avoid spoilers.  All I will say is that it tied the movie up perfectly, and made me feel like I had been a part of the characters' amazing, almost spiritual journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment