News and Upcoming Reviews

News: Sorry for my extended absence, I've been working on school stuff for most of my spare time. I got my review of "Padawan Lost" up and will hopefully post my review of "Wookie Hunt" tomorrow.

Upcoming Reviews: Xenocide, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Minority Report, Halo Reach

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Best of 2010 Awards

2010 is gone, so I decided to put together a year end review of the best movies, video games, and books to come out this year.  Please note that this list only includes the things that I myself have read/played/watched.
Best Animated Film:  Toy Story 3

We all remember Toy Story and its sequel.  I grew up with those movies, so it seemed impossible for Pixar to live up to my lofty high expectations.  Fortuanately they did that and more; Toy Story 3 was an epic (yes epic) ending to a childhood obsession, with great characterization and one of the most fulfilling ending sequences in the industry.
Runners Up:  How to Train Your Dragon, Megamind
Best Video Game:  Super Mario Galaxy 2

I played a lot of Wii games this year, and Super Mario Galaxy 2 comes out on top of them all, no question.  The game has some truly brilliant levels, my favorite being a faithful recreation of one of the worlds from the greatest video game of all time, Super Mario 64.  Yes, Galaxy 2 doesn't quite compare to the N64 classic, but it is still unique enough to stand alone.
Runners Up:  Goldeneye 007, Donkey Kong Country Returns
Best Book:  Fablehaven:  Keys to the Demon Prison

While I did read a lot of books this year, not many of them were published in the year 2010.  Even fewer deserve to be on a "Best of 2010" list.  Keys to the Demon Prison does however.  While it wasn't the strongest book in the series, and at some points a bit repetitive, the fifth book in the Fablehaven series still managed to bring a strong conclusion to the fantasy saga.  For those who haven't read the Fablehaven books yet, I recommend that you do so ASAP, especially if you're of the Harry Potter crowd.
Runners Up:  none
Best Live-Action Film:  Inception

Inception is what every movie should be.  Engaging, thought provoking, well acted, well written, and everything else that you can think of.  That's positive, of course.  Since it's also the only movie that I've reviewed so far to score a perfect "10", you can bet that it will take quite an extraordinary movie to earn a similar award.  If you only see one movie in your lifetime, make sure that it's Inception. 
Runners Up:  Salt, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1

That concludes my Best of 2010 Awards.  Whether you agree with me completely (good mindless minion, you!) or absolutely hate my guts for not choosing the thing that so obviously won over my feeble, pathetic excuse of an opinion, let your voice be known and comment below!  (For better or for worse.)

No comments:

Post a Comment